This is a quick, easy recipe that I adapted from a Pinterest find. The original recipe can be found here: http://www.bhg.com/recipe/pies/whipped-key-lime-pie/
Whipped Lemon Dessert (makes 4 servings)
- 2 cups of Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2 cup of Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon of Lemon Zest
- 14 oz can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Whip one cup of the whipping cream, adding no ingredients to it. Make sure soft peaks form.
- In another bowl, mix the lemon juice (preferably fresh squeezed), lemon zest and sweetened condensed milk
- Fold in the whipped cream gently and stir to make a consistent texture
- Dish into serving bowls and freeze for at least 4-6 hours before serving
- (Optional) Whip the remaining one cup of whipping cream, this time adding sugar and vanilla to taste. Add onto the dessert just before serving.
I found that in the original recipe, the filling itself was the delicious part. The crust added nothing, and even after thawing a little in the fridge, the crust became hard. The limes, while flavorful, were not as strong as I would have liked the flavor to be. Here in Chile, one of the main ingredients (if you remember from this post) is lemons, and they have a more intense flavor. So, lemon seemed like a prime choice.
It makes for an easy dessert that is tart, sweet, and is something everyone can enjoy. You can also keep it in the freezer like ice cream, so it doesn’t go bad very fast! I expect it to be a huge hit in the summertime. It may be a little crazy to be making it in winter, but it is just so good! I couldn’t resist. To be honest, I think it could be made with any sort of juice as well. I am going to try raspberry next time, and ensure that I make a double batch.
¿Quieres leer esta entrada en español? Haz click aquí.